102. I teach kindergarten in a school that is about 80% Afro-American, 5% Caucasian and 10% Hispanic. We are a Title 1 school, in that almost all of the students are on Free Lunch.
My years of teaching have shown me the important effect that instruction using music has on the learning of five-year-olds. It occurs to me to try to find songs that are in both English and Spanish to help convey meaning.
I've gone through many web searches, and have exhausted the "Spanish/English children's music" category on amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com and sheetmusic plus.com.
Can you help me find more resources, or tell me who could help? I play the piano/keyboard, and can also lead songs without accompaniment.
Music has a very positive effect on learning AT ALL AGES!!!! It has been shown to influence math skills achievement, reading comprehension, etc. I would like to emphasize the importance of the visual image. Many songs contain vocabulary --a wonderful asset of music lyrics-- not usually found in ordinary conversations.
For more in-depth information, classroom demonstrations, and "coaching" of new and/or experienced teachers, Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK offers:
1. Cognitive - Academic Language and Vocabulary Development
2. Cross Cultural Diversity - Multicultural Strategies
3. Effective Instruction for English Learners (L.E.P. students) Parts 1, 2, 3, 4
4. Promoting Academic Success in Language Minority Students
5. Cognitive - Academic Language and Vocabulary Development
6. Oral Language / Literacy Skills / Higher Order Thinking Skills
7. 50/50 Dual Language Programs: design, planning and implementation
8. The Structure of English / The Structure of Spanish
9. Transition: Introduction to English Reading
Web Site Programs for Teachers: Numbers 1, 5, 7, 8, and 9.
Web Site Programs for Paraprofessionals: Number 3.
Web Site Programs for New Teachers:
Enhanced Cultural Sensitivity - The Challenge of Students Diversity
Identifying / Responding to Students' Language Needs
Phonemic Awareness: Teaching English phonics to L.E.P. students
Relationship Between Reading, Writing and Spelling
Improving Reading Performance -- Building Oral Language Skills)
Write and e-mail any additional questions you may have, and Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK will establish with you, your school or district a Technical Assistance Service Contract. Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK will answer all your questions promptly and to your satisfaction.
For information and credentials please click on the link below or contact directly:
CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK, Ph.D.
Educational Consultant, Program Evaluator
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, Certification (12/2006)
3113 Malcolm Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90034-3406
Phone and Fax: (310) 474-5605