143. As the United States becomes more infused with persons of Hispanic or Latino descent, is there currently (or do you forsee) any legislation requiring a percentage of public employees to be bilingual?
As I mentioned, our President and his brother Jebb, and Jebb's entire family are bilingual!!!! Do I foresee our entire nation turning to bilingualism? I think it is already happening!!!!! The Los Angeles Unified School District's Teachers' Union recently conducted a survey and 54% of the TEACHERS believe that ALL STUDENTS SHOULD BE BILINGUAL!!!!! Bentonville, ARKANSAS, may be exploring teaching SPANISH to all students!!!!! We are, and we have been, and we will continue to be a nation of many languages, and there will come a time, like in Canada, when it will be very profitable (and thus, probably required) that our leaders and everyone may learn two or several languages. It will happen, whether we legislate it or not. Because knowledge is "gold," and knowing whatever, but especially knowing languages increases one's marketability and value, I strongly believe that knowing two or more language will be something very desirable in our global marketplace.
For more in-depth information, classroom demonstrations, and "coaching" of new and/or experienced teachers, Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK offers:
1. Cognitive - Academic Language and Vocabulary Development
2. Cross Cultural Diversity - Multicultural Strategies
3. Effective Instruction for English Learners (L.E.P. students) Parts 1, 2, 3, 4
4. Promoting Academic Success in Language Minority Students
5. Cognitive - Academic Language and Vocabulary Development
6. Oral Language / Literacy Skills / Higher Order Thinking Skills
7. 50/50 Dual Language Programs: design, planning and implementation
8. The Structure of English / The Structure of Spanish
9. Transition: Introduction to English Reading
Web Site Programs for Teachers: Numbers 1, 5, 7, 8, and 9.
Web Site Programs for Paraprofessionals: Number 3.
Web Site Programs for New Teachers:
Enhanced Cultural Sensitivity - The Challenge of Students Diversity
Identifying / Responding to Students' Language Needs
Phonemic Awareness: Teaching English phonics to L.E.P. students
Relationship Between Reading, Writing and Spelling
Improving Reading Performance -- Building Oral Language Skills)
Write and e-mail any additional questions you may have, and Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK will establish with you, your school or district a Technical Assistance Service Contract. Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK will answer all your questions promptly and to your satisfaction.
For information and credentials please click on the link below or contact directly:
CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK, Ph.D.
Educational Consultant, Program Evaluator
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, Certification (12/2006)
3113 Malcolm Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90034-3406
Phone and Fax: (310) 474-5605