188. Do you think all ESL teachers should speak the primary language of the students they are teaching?
Not necessarily. I could teach Chinese students very effectively although I do not understand, speak, read or write Chinese. Why?
I know ABOUT ENGLISH!!!! I know how to articulate the sounds of English, how to form and pronounce English words, how to put words together in meaningful sentences, how to vary my intonation to convey the desired meaning of a message, how to spell words, etc. With this knowledge I can compare the Chinese students' mistakes to correct English pronunciation, morphology, syntax, and word usage. I can plan lessons to address the Chinese students mistakes. I can diagnose what the Chinese student's difficulties are in learning English. But I need not be proficient in Chinese to do a very effective and efficient job.
I would have to learn a lot about the Chinese student's culture and social behaviors. Now I am ready to teach ESL!!!!
For more in-depth information, classroom demonstrations, and "coaching" of new and/or experienced teachers, Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK offers:
1. Cognitive - Academic Language and Vocabulary Development
2. Cross Cultural Diversity - Multicultural Strategies
3. Effective Instruction for English Learners (L.E.P. students) Parts 1, 2, 3, 4
4. Promoting Academic Success in Language Minority Students
5. Cognitive - Academic Language and Vocabulary Development
6. Oral Language / Literacy Skills / Higher Order Thinking Skills
7. 50/50 Dual Language Programs: design, planning and implementation
8. The Structure of English / The Structure of Spanish
9. Transition: Introduction to English Reading
Web Site Programs for Teachers: Numbers 1, 5, 7, 8, and 9.
Web Site Programs for Paraprofessionals: Number 3.
Web Site Programs for New Teachers:
Enhanced Cultural Sensitivity - The Challenge of Students Diversity
Identifying / Responding to Students' Language Needs
Phonemic Awareness: Teaching English phonics to L.E.P. students
Relationship Between Reading, Writing and Spelling
Improving Reading Performance -- Building Oral Language Skills)
Write and e-mail any additional questions you may have, and Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK will establish with you, your school or district a Technical Assistance Service Contract. Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK will answer all your questions promptly and to your satisfaction.
For information and credentials please click on the link below or contact directly:
CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK, Ph.D.
Educational Consultant, Program Evaluator
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, Certification (12/2006)
3113 Malcolm Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90034-3406
Phone and Fax: (310) 474-5605