217. Subject: Requesting information.
I would like to have some information about how to get a teaching credential. I would like to teach Spanish. I have a Bachelor's accounting degree, but my first language is Spanish and I feel I have good knowledge of Hispanic culture. Is there anything I can do in order to get a teaching credential a soon as possible? I really would like to get a job as Spanish language teacher. I will be so grateful to you if you have the time to give me step by step the information I need.

Most of the information I will provide comes from the State of California since EACH state has different requirements. However, California is the state with the highest requirements so that other states may require less than California.

A teaching Credential in California requires a Bachelor's degree in the field in which you are requesting the credential. Now, is you have a MINOR in Spanish --in addition to your MAJOR in accounting-- you could request a teaching credential possibly in Math AND Spanish. Most credentials also list English as a subject you could teach since you did your studies in English.

Your first step should be to contact your local university or 4-year college and have the credentials office, usually housed in the Department of Education, evaluate your transcript from your undergraduate university. By looking at all the courses you took for your Bachelor's degree, they can recommend which courses would fulfill the requirements for which MAJORS and MINORS.

There are a number of professional exams required of ALL credential candidates: in California, the FIRST test you must take is the C-BEST (California Basic Education Skills Test, required of ALL teaching candidates) and the RICA (Reading Instruction Competency Assessment). It is in your best interest to take the CLAD (Cross-cultural, Language and Academic Development) and the B-CLAD (Bilingual-Cross-cultural, Language and Academic Development) tests. There may be other tests you may take, depending on your Major and Minors.

In California --and in many other states-- due to the extremely acute shortage of teachers, you MAY obtain a teaching credential on emergency basis, that is an "EMERGENCY" credential. This may require that you begin teaching under a school district or a university "teaching internship" program so that you can complete whichever requirements are needed for a "CLEAR" credential.

Teaching in a private school, however, does NOT require a teaching credential, so you could apply for teaching at private schools while you try to finish all requirements for a teaching credential. 

GO right away to your local college or university, take your transcripts for ALL your undergraduate studies --and graduate studies, if any-- and THEY will tell you exactly what you have and what you need. Local school districts in California may help you, especially very large districts. Inquire right away about the DATES for all the tests you may need to take. It seems like a long and difficult process BUT YOU can do it at your own pace.

Hope this information helps.




For more in-depth information, classroom demonstrations, and "coaching" of new and/or experienced teachers, Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK offers:

1. Cognitive - Academic Language and Vocabulary Development
2. Cross Cultural Diversity - Multicultural Strategies
3. Effective Instruction for English Learners (L.E.P. students) Parts 1, 2, 3, 4
4. Promoting Academic Success in Language Minority Students
5. Cognitive - Academic Language and Vocabulary Development
6. Oral Language / Literacy Skills / Higher Order Thinking Skills
7. 50/50 Dual Language Programs: design, planning and implementation
8. The Structure of English / The Structure of Spanish
9. Transition: Introduction to English Reading

Web Site Programs for Teachers: Numbers 1, 5, 7, 8, and 9.
Web Site Programs for
Paraprofessionals: Number 3.
Web Site Programs for
New Teachers:
Enhanced Cultural Sensitivity - The Challenge of Students Diversity
Identifying / Responding to Students' Language Needs
Phonemic Awareness: Teaching English phonics to L.E.P. students
Relationship Between Reading, Writing and Spelling
Improving Reading Performance -- Building Oral Language Skills)

Write and e-mail any additional questions you may have, and Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK will establish with you, your school or district a Technical Assistance Service Contract. Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK will answer all your questions promptly and to your satisfaction.


For information and credentials please click on the link below or contact directly:


Educational Consultant, Program Evaluator

National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, Certification (12/2006)

3113 Malcolm Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90034-3406

Phone and Fax: (310) 474-5605

E-mail:  csssadek@gte.net