271. Subject: ESL Assessment for Tutoring. Iím going to be working with middle school students/ Spanish/English. I need a little test to give them before I start their tutoring plans. Could you provide me with a short test. I'm going to be working with the school on a contractual basis. I need to get my own materials. I need a way to evaluate the students before starting a tutoring plan. If you could donate the test to me I would certainly appreciate it.
As I mentioned over the phone as I tried to clarify what exactly you needed, there are commercially available tests that can be used to identify students' overall language proficiency levels:
Most English Learners --in fact, ALL English Learners-- in a school or school district, I am sure, have been identified by some state-approved commercial test both, upon entry into the school system AND probably every year they have attended classes in a public school in the USA.
For tutorial purposes, however, any type of formal or informal assessment may suffice to help you tailor your lessons to meet the language needs of each of your tutees. Just review the NEW lesson the tutees will be learning, identify the NEW vocabulary (all tutees need help with vocabulary development), "test" students using the pictures provided in the textbook or book about the concept(s) they are about to learn, maybe have students write what they know about the subject to check their spelling errors and word- and sentence-patterns, or have students read several sentences or paragraphs from the textbook or book . . . . . and you should be ready to go!!! Plan your lesson depending on what students produce orally, through reading or in writing.
For more in-depth information, classroom demonstrations, and "coaching" of new and/or experienced teachers, Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK offers:
1. Cognitive - Academic Language and Vocabulary Development
2. Cross Cultural Diversity - Multicultural Strategies
3. Effective Instruction for English Learners (L.E.P. students) Parts 1, 2, 3, 4
4. Promoting Academic Success in Language Minority Students
5. Cognitive - Academic Language and Vocabulary Development
6. Oral Language / Literacy Skills / Higher Order Thinking Skills
7. 50/50 Dual Language Programs: design, planning and implementation
8. The Structure of English / The Structure of Spanish
9. Transition: Introduction to English Reading
Web Site Programs for Teachers: Numbers 1, 5, 7, 8, and 9.
Web Site Programs for Paraprofessionals: Number 3.
Web Site Programs for New Teachers:
Enhanced Cultural Sensitivity - The Challenge of Students Diversity
Identifying / Responding to Students' Language Needs
Phonemic Awareness: Teaching English phonics to L.E.P. students
Relationship Between Reading, Writing and Spelling
Improving Reading Performance -- Building Oral Language Skills)
Write and e-mail any additional questions you may have, and Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK will establish with you, your school or district a Technical Assistance Service Contract. Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK will answer all your questions promptly and to your satisfaction.
For information and credentials please click on the link below or contact directly:
CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK, Ph.D.
Educational Consultant, Program Evaluator
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, Certification (12/2006)
3113 Malcolm Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90034-3406
Phone and Fax: (310) 474-5605