299. Part I. Subject: Textbooks for Spanish speaking students. Dr. Sanchez, I am dean of students at a public New Jersey middle school. I also teach a history class that has students who are new immigrants to the US and do not speak English. I would like to find an American History textbook that is written in Spanish so that these students can better understand what material we are covering in American History. I have been working with our ESL teacher and she agreed that have a textbook written in Spanish may help these students. My problem is that I cannot find a company that has that type of text. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for visiting our Web Sites and for your question that shows great professional concern for the academic advancement of your English Learners.
Indeed, a textbook for any subject matter in the language that Middle School or High School --or Elementary School-- students understand best may be very helpful to any students who does not speak, reads or writes English.
There are hundreds of such textbooks available to you and my best suggestion is to request of you to contact either CABE (California Association for Bilingual Education) or NABE (National Association for Bilingual Education) for information on the hundreds of publishing companies that participate in their Annual Meetings. CABE's Annual Meeting for 2006 will be in February, in San Josť, California. NABE's Annual Meetings will take place in Phoenix, AZ, early in 2006.
You may also try to contact TWO-WAY or ENGLISH/SPANISH IMMERSION PROGRAMS throughout the USA and they will probably make recommendations to you as far as their textbook selections are concerned.
Hope this helps!!! THANK YOU for sharing your question with me, C.S.S.
Part II. Subject: Textbooks for Spanish speaking students. Thank you for your informative response. I am happy to report that Holt Rinehart( the company that publishes our current text) has sent me the entire text on audio, & text summaries of each section of the book with vocabulary & questions in Spanish.
For more in-depth information, classroom demonstrations, and "coaching" of new and/or experienced teachers, Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK offers:
1. Cognitive - Academic Language and Vocabulary Development
2. Cross Cultural Diversity - Multicultural Strategies
3. Effective Instruction for English Learners (L.E.P. students) Parts 1, 2, 3, 4
4. Promoting Academic Success in Language Minority Students
5. Cognitive - Academic Language and Vocabulary Development
6. Oral Language / Literacy Skills / Higher Order Thinking Skills
7. 50/50 Dual Language Programs: design, planning and implementation
8. The Structure of English / The Structure of Spanish
9. Transition: Introduction to English Reading
Web Site Programs for Teachers: Numbers 1, 5, 7, 8, and 9.
Web Site Programs for Paraprofessionals: Number 3.
Web Site Programs for New Teachers:
Enhanced Cultural Sensitivity - The Challenge of Students Diversity
Identifying / Responding to Students' Language Needs
Phonemic Awareness: Teaching English phonics to L.E.P. students
Relationship Between Reading, Writing and Spelling
Improving Reading Performance -- Building Oral Language Skills)
Write and e-mail any additional questions you may have, and Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK will establish with you, your school or district a Technical Assistance Service Contract. Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK will answer all your questions promptly and to your satisfaction.
For information and credentials please click on the link below or contact directly:
CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK, Ph.D.
Educational Consultant, Program Evaluator
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, Certification (12/2006)
3113 Malcolm Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90034-3406
Phone and Fax: (310) 474-5605