321. Subject: uncertified teacher.  QUESTION:  Do you have any advice for a highly qualified and uncertified English teacher from another country to find a teaching position?  Any district in your knowledge which will be willing to sponsor a  H1 B visa and offer job at least on conditional permit?



To answer your question: Public Education in the USA is a STATE responsibility.   Each state decides on the requirements needed to hold a valid Teaching Credential and to teach in public schools within that state, for grades Kindergarten to 12th grade.  

For college-level teaching, there are NO specific certifications or permits -- your qualifications may be sufficient to obtain a teaching position at any PRIVATE college or university or at a public state college or university.   You just need to request interviews with the head or chairperson of the English Department or the English-As-A-Second Language Department.  

There are many PRIVATE agencies offering English Language Programs to foreign students.  

Basically, these are your options, unless you contact a school district in URGENT need of English Language Teachers and the school district is willing to help you obtain the proper credentials or permits.   There are foreign teachers teaching in public schools in many states through special programs in areas with great shortages of teachers.   

I wish you the best in your effort as you try to find the teaching position you seek.   Make as many phone calls as you can and explain your situation.   There are many possibilities, but it may take some effort to find them.     



Dear Dr. Sadek, Thank you so much for your kind reply and I am doing exactly what you have said trying to contact various private schools.  Thanking you again.



I am forwarding your messages to two colleagues who may give you more up-to-date advice as you search for a teaching position.   They may provide better information on the situation in their states.  

Best of possibilities to you, C.S.S.





For more in-depth information, classroom demonstrations, and "coaching" of new and/or experienced teachers, Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK offers:

1. Cognitive - Academic Language and Vocabulary Development
2. Cross Cultural Diversity - Multicultural Strategies
3. Effective Instruction for English Learners (L.E.P. students) Parts 1, 2, 3, 4
4. Promoting Academic Success in Language Minority Students
5. Cognitive - Academic Language and Vocabulary Development
6. Oral Language / Literacy Skills / Higher Order Thinking Skills
7. 50/50 Dual Language Programs: design, planning and implementation
8. The Structure of English / The Structure of Spanish
9. Transition: Introduction to English Reading

Web Site Programs for Teachers: Numbers 1, 5, 7, 8, and 9.
Web Site Programs for
Paraprofessionals: Number 3.
Web Site Programs for
New Teachers:
Enhanced Cultural Sensitivity - The Challenge of Students Diversity
Identifying / Responding to Students' Language Needs
Phonemic Awareness: Teaching English phonics to L.E.P. students
Relationship Between Reading, Writing and Spelling
Improving Reading Performance -- Building Oral Language Skills)

Write and e-mail any additional questions you may have, and Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK will establish with you, your school or district a Technical Assistance Service Contract. Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK will answer all your questions promptly and to your satisfaction.


For information and credentials please click on the link below or contact directly:


Educational Consultant, Program Evaluator

National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, Certification (12/2006)

3113 Malcolm Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90034-3406

Phone and Fax: (310) 474-5605

E-mail:  csssadek@gte.net